07 October 2009

It happened to me. . .

Have you ever seen that little box in Parents Magazine?  The one where parents tell about the most random injuries that their children have received?   Well, I have one to send in now. . .

A week or so ago we were all rushing out the door on the way to church. This was before the cold front moved in, so it was still pretty warm.  As all the walking children went outside, Eric made a beeline for the door and crawled right out.  In the process he laid his arm across this:


Across what, you ask? See that metal strip at the bottom of the door? Well, that metal strip is in the sun for a good part of the day. I knew it could get hot. I just didn't realize HOW hot.

Second degree burn hot.

Yep. That's right.  2nd degree burns up Eric's arm.  John took him to the Urgent care while I took the rest of the kids to church.



We kept his arm wrapped for about a week, changing it twice a day.  It is healing well, but still looks horrible. (I'm his mom. Any injury on one of my children looks horrible.)  The biggest blessing about this whole ordeal is that Eric has been a trooper.  We kept him on Tylenol for the first few days, but he has handled it all incredibly well. Thank Heaven for tender mercies.

7 people think my kids are cute!:

Rochelle said...

Poor little guy, that is a really random injury.

Melanie said...

Wow! Who knew, just when you least expect it everything is dangerous. I'm not looking forward to worrying about moving. I'm already terrified about him getting sick.

I hope your little guy heals quickly.

Lauren said...

First off, I love his curly hair. So cute.
Second, that doesn't sound like a fun injury but I'm glad he's doing OK and that it wasn't worse!

janae said...

WOA. You have got to be kidding. That is so nuts. Did I ever tell you about the time I tried to iron while nursing a 17 day-old baby? Can you say STUPID?!! Sease got a second degree burn on her leg. I was told that I shouldn't let it see sun for 12 months (a year?! maybe because she was a newborn? did they tell you to do that?) to ensure that it didn't discolor from seeing the sun and make the scar worse. Anyway, we had to put a large band aid over the spot every time we went outside (for an extended period of time) for a year. Crazy. I'm so sorry about Eric!

Debbie / Cranberry Fries said...

oooouch!

Liesl said...

Ouch! Poor tyke. Burns are some of the most painful injuries!

Patty said...

I can't believe he got second degree burns from that, I'm so sorry to hear. I would also have to agree that any injury on our little babies look horrible. I wouldn't even think to be careful around the entry way. Glad to hear that he is doing okay and has been a trooper.