06 January 2009

A Day in the Life

I don't know why I think that I can take all 4 kids to the Dr.s office. What is wrong with me? Shall I expound?
So we get there and my 3 oldest run into the playroom and watch a movie. All is well. There is only one other child in the waiting room and from the looks of things, he is there for a well visit. So I sit down and I wait. And more people come. And they are not healthy.
I know.
What should I expect? I have four kids. I should be used to being in Dr.s offices full of sick kids, right? Nope. I don't think that this has ever happened to me before. I guess I've been spoiled. And I start to feel like the walls are closing in. Too many little kids coughing. And gagging. And being given a bin to throw up in. And all the while I am screaming in my head.

Please. Please. Don't touch anything. Get me out of here.

So finally they call me. Well, they call Eric. And they take us back to the VERY back room. So I herd all my kids with the baby carrier to the very back room and get them all in this room about as big as my bathroom. That is to say: tiny. They have me strip Eric and then we go out in the hall to weigh him. We have to wait because there is another baby being weighed. Sadly, the one who needed the throw up bin. I make the nurse change both the pads on the scale before laying him down. We go back to the room. Somewhere down the hall, someone has thrown up. And we are downwind. The nurse leaves, closes the door and we are trapped with the smell. I pull out the Bath and Body works hand sanitizer to try and overpower. It only works for a minute. But hey, at least all of our hands are clean right? That is until Seth sticks his hand in the garbage and starts playing. And then won't leave it alone.
So in an attempt to distract him, I give him my phone. Which works, quite well, for a little while at least. I notice that Seth is getting online. Which is a problem. (He has actually downloaded a song onto my phone before. I don't even know how to download songs. He chose Pink. So What. And he knows how to play it. And he sings along now. Na na na na na na na na na na.)
So I take it away. In retribution, he takes a handful of Eric's hair.
And runs.
Now, years ago I vowed that I would only ever spank my children. True spankings: openhanded on the bum. And only when they really, truly deserve it. I almost never spank my kids. And I have stuck to that.
Until today.
Seth got smacked in the head. He let go. And then the Doctor walked in. And I have been on the verge of tears ever since.
Alyssa had a quote on her blog that I stole. Because it is my life:
"trapped between a scream and a hug."

9 people think my kids are cute!:

The Kemps said...

I love knowing that other mom's experience things like this too. I'm so sorry that you had to go through this, but it makes all of us who've done it to feel a little bit better knowing we have company!

Debbie said...

Oh I'm so there with you. On the verge of tears. I'm so sorry.

I'd be willing to pay a extra for a doctor who had a seperate entrance for healthy and sick kids. I know it sounds weird but I've seen it almost done (well not the healthy sick part but doctors sharing space and a reception desk/file room but having different entrances and different waiting rooms.)

janae said...

Oh my gosh, I soooo feel for you! (Except I only have three so I can only begin to understand.) That sounds so miserable! I really hate going to the doctor's at this time of year!

ps. my pediatrician has the separate entrance and healthy/sick waiting rooms. I loved it until we went when Seara had a cold, and all the other kids seemed to have the flu ... and then I kept thinking, "She's sick already, we don't want all the other illnesses, too!!" I think doctors should do house visits. :)

Liesl Shurtliff said...

Oh awful! But good story-telling! I was right there with you suffering. I know not as bad as you, but I could almost smell that throw up!

hippyrochelle said...

I experienced almost this exact situation today only with 3 kids rather than 4. I really feel for you, it always seems like the doc keeps you waiting just long enough for you to loose it, and then walks in when you flip out.

*julie* said...

Ha! In the head?! No way! That's funny Rachel.
Okay, now I feel a little sad about his cute little head, but he's already forgiven you I'm sure, with hugs and kisses to boot ;)

Patty said...

That story was very funny. That is a really good vow to make, I need to do that.

Rock said...

Oh you'll be laughing at this story in a few days... I hope :)

3 Peas in a Pod said...

I don't think I've ever commented before but I read your blog often. I have 3 kids. Ages 6, 4 and 2. 2 boys and a girl. The girl is the youngest. I'm so sorry that you're on the verge of tears. I have been there before (and can't imagine having one more child like you) and will be there again.

My daughter had a well visit today and I was thankful I only had to take 2 kids with me. I held my breath the whole entire time but luckily today was a rare good day. My daughter's at the age where she wants out of the stroller like the other 2. I've literally almost walked out of the dr's office before because my boys have been misbehaving sooo badly. (The dr is 30 miles away so it's not like we can just go back when everyone is calm...whenever that is! LOL) No matter how hard I try to pre-plan things to take to occupy them...it doesn't work. Hang in there. Pediatricians are used to kids and they love what they do for a living. They understand how hard being a mommy is. Some days are good and some days are bad. Don't beat yourself up. You're human...and so are the rest of us. :)

My boys have well visits scheduled in the beginning of Feb so I'll have to take all 3 with me....I'm dreading it already.

Much love from NJ,
Suz

P.S. I'll have to borrow that phrase. I love it! It's undeniably true for me too.