27 May 2008

Memorial Day




On Sunday we visited the cemetary with my parents and Grandma to put flowers on my other Grandparents graves. I haven't actually been to visit their graves since they passed away--I just didn't want to think about it. But I really feel like I want the girls to know their history and hear about these wonderful people that they never got to meet. I want them to feel a connection with their family. My parents were great at that. I was shocked when I was engaged to John and found out that he didn't even know the names of his Grandparents. And I am not talking about his Great Grandparents or long lost ancestors. I am talking about his mother's parents. I want my children to know the names of all their grandparents and great grandparents and even further back if their memories are good enough!
Well, this trip was a start at least. They were slightly curious about whose grave we were visiting but more interested in all the pretty flowers at all the other gravesites. When we were leaving, Eden wondered why we didn't go see all of them. I hope to make this a tradition so that memorial day means a bit more to them than summer and BBQs.

2 people think my kids are cute!:

Mother Goose said...

Sounds like a great tradition. Seth is too dang cute!

~W E N D Y ~ said...

That's great that you are starting that while they are young. Doing family history is fun, time consuming and interesting. But it can also be a big frustration too!! I'm glad that you are making sure they know who they're ancestors are. It's important!!