25 February 2007

Family Letter

Hello all,




You know, I go through my week and then when something interesting or funny happens I think, I should put that in the letter. But then, when I sit down to write it, it’s gone. So there are many occasions when my life is much more interesting than I make it sound.

John didn’t have school on Monday so he went snowboarding. (What else?) We ran some errands in the morning and then that afternoon Mike Hurst called. He had originally called John to invite us all to go bowling, but when he found out that John was snowboarding, he called me to volunteer to take the girls bowling—which I readily agreed to. They had a blast, and so did I. They are such great friends.



Tuesday there was no preschool so Sara brought her kids to play and they had a great time. I am so glad that they all get along so well. I had a doctor’s appt that afternoon and had to take the girls. They are amazingly really good at the Drs. It helps. That night we had the FHE that we had postponed from the night before. We gave a lesson on gratitude and then took out some deliveries, specifically a plate of cookies and a thank you note to my Mom’s cousin who is in our ward and who gave us a totally unexpected and really generous Christmas gift. The girls enjoyed taking cookies to people, especially because when we got home they got to eat one. John went and played basketball that night.



Wednesday was dance and Tayleigh was very excited that Sarah wasn’t sick anymore. When I told her that we got to go to Lesa’s house she exclaimed, “Sarah’s not sick? She’s happy now?” Obviously, the opposite of sick is happy. It works. Eden is very excited because her class is learning a piece from Swan Lake and she gets a costume with feathers and wings. I was supposed to have a meeting that night, but when it was canceled I got to spend an unexpected evening at home with my family. It was nice.



Thursday was preschool and Tayleigh and I went during that time to pick out her potty prizes. We are getting serious about that now. The problem is, I think that Tayleigh is taking it a little too seriously. She really wants those prizes. The only problem is her discouragement. She doesn’t get going potty. When we got home she took off her diaper and promptly peed on the floor. Then she insisted that she try to go potty and sat there for almost 45 minutes before I made her get off. We tried again later that evening. Once again she sat there for half an hour. She doesn’t get it. Her diaper was dry. I know she could have done it. She really doesn’t know how and I don’t know how to help her. She has the motivation—I mean she sits there for long enough. I have tried putting her feet in water, putting her hands in water, giving her a drink while she is sitting there, running the water, having her squeeze her belly. I don’t know what else to do. I would think, well maybe she isn’t ready yet, but she hates having a wet diaper, she lets me know just about every time she pees. I don’t get it. Any advice?

That night I had a meeting to plan our next enrichment. It went better than I expected, so that was great. We are going to have fondue for our refreshments, and considered having more than just the chocolate kind. Anyone have any recipes they would like to share?



Friday morning I had to go to the dr’s to take my glucose test and then ran to Sam’s club with no kids which is great. Tayleigh tried to go potty again and after sitting there for a long time it took me at least 10 minutes to coax her off so that we could go play at a friend’s house. There is family in our ward who also has 2 little girls really close to my girls’ ages and we went over there. Every thing that they have has a princess on it, so my girls were pretty much in heaven. It didn’t hurt that they gave us a princess tent that they were going to give to DI. That was pretty exciting. When we got home Eden wanted to put it up, and I told her that she had to clean her room first. She announced that she was going to clean it on Friday. When I told her it was Friday, she said, how about Saturday. I told her that was fine, but we couldn’t put the tent up until it was clean. She announced that she was just teasing me. “So you’re not going to clean your room on Saturday?”

I asked. “No, I was just teasing you about putting my tent up.”

Mike and Ashlyn came over for dinner that night and we had a great time with them. We don’t get to see them very often since we have been back from CA and the girls really miss them. It was great to spend some time with them. John went and played basketball in a stake game that night, and he thinks they won. The game was called when they were 6 points up. You’ll have to get the whole story from him.



Saturday morning I ran to the grocery store and then spent the day cleaning. The girls did clean their room and got to put their tent up. When I announced that it was Saturday and that they needed to clean their room, Eden suggested, “How about next Saturday?” She is getting really good at the “how about” statements. We went to Lesa’s for dinner and had a great time hanging out with family. The girls especially had a wonderful time. There is really nothing better than cousins.



Today was kind of crazy. Our home teachers came over at 11:00 and they were nice enough to shovel our driveway for us, as it snowed last night. It was great because John was busy writing his talk and wasn’t going to do it. I had to be at the church at 12:00 and got the girls as ready to go as I could. I had a meeting and then stressed John out before Sacrament started because I had a bunch of things to do and couldn’t come sit with the girls until a couple of minutes before the meeting started. The “tallest Sunday School Presidency in the world” spoke today and they all did a great job. All of John’s stress paid off and he gave a great talk. It was actually the first time in our marriage that I have heard him give a talk. I have either been sick or out of town in the past. Church went well and the girls love their classes. We ran home so that I could make dinner and then be back at the church by 6:00 for VT interviews. It actually went a lot better than I thought that it would because I got the chance to meet and talk to sisters who I don’t usually or who I don’t know very well. I get to do it again next Sunday too.



Well, that was the week. I hope you are all doing well. We love you all!

Rachel

0 people think my kids are cute!: