11 September 2006

Family Letter

So I am getting it out on time this week. For once. Anyway. . .


Monday was pretty slow. We ran errands in the morning looking for a bag pack for Eden, which we couldn’t find. The girls were very grumpy so we didn’t even make it to more than one store. Luckily John came home kind of early that day so Eden and I went and found a bag pack that was more her size and lucky for me it was on sale. Eden was pretty excited but Tayleigh wanted to know where her bag pack was. This year is kind of a bummer for Tayleigh because she is too little to do anything. We had FHE that night, and I love it how excited Eden gets about it. She loves doing the activity, but I really think that her favorite part is picking out a picture of Jesus and talking about it.

Tuesday was Eden’s first day of school; so much of the morning was devoted to making sure that everything was ready to go. When I realized that we had lots of extra time I decided we could make it to the library story time. Eden is old enough now to go to the big kid story time (3-5 yr. olds) with out parents. She was a little nervous at first, but she really enjoyed and had no problems going in by herself. While we were there I ran into a girl that I had gone to high school with (Debbie Duffin), who has a little girl Eden’s age so we introduced them and I think that Eden felt better about having a friend go into story time with her. It was a lot of fun to see Debbie. I don’t think that I have seen her since graduation, so there was a lot to catch up on. Tayleigh and I went to the toddler time and amazingly Tayleigh paid better attention without Eden around. It was really fun. We left from the library straight to preschool and got there a little early. Once again Eden had no problems leaving me, and went straight to the toys and forgot all about me. Tayleigh and I were invited to lunch at CafĂ© Rio with Sara and a couple of her friends, who both have kids in Eden’s preschool class. Eden reported having a great day at preschool and was really excited to show me her worksheets that she had colored. She was excited when Daddy came home so that she could tell him all about it.

Wednesday was ballet. Tayleigh and I spent the hour at Lesa’s, which for Tayleigh is an excellent consolation prize for not getting to go to ballet. Eden had a great class and then we headed home. I promised a friend I would watch her girls for an hour, so they came over. The oldest girl is a little younger than Eden but they get along really well. They had a blast together. We spent the rest of the day cleaning and getting chores done. That afternoon I had an appt. with Baby your Baby, which took a little longer than expected because halfway through the fire alarm went off and everyone had to evacuate the building. I never found out what the problem was, but the fire dept. showed up and with in a few minutes we could go back in. Strange. John went and played volleyball with Mark until late.

Thursday we headed to the park for playgroup in the morning. It is really fun to get together with some other moms in the ward and chat and it is so great for my girls to develop friendships in the neighborhood. We had a great time until it was time for preschool, and we headed up there. Tayleigh and I went grocery shopping while Eden was in school and then went to pick her up. She really loves school. Everyday she has had so much to talk about and has been so proud of herself for the work she has done. Right now they are talking about shapes and she loves to show me all of the shapes that she has colored. It is fun to see her love it so much.

Friday morning I took the girls over to a friend’s house to play while I went and got a much needed hair cut. It took much longer than expected and it was lunch time before I got home. The girls had lunch and then Tayleigh went to bed and I did load after load of laundry. We took it easy that night and put the kids to bed early. Tayleigh however had a different idea. I am worried that she is like John and has a hard time falling asleep. This has happened more than once in the recent past.

Saturday morning was slow. We slept in, and then I cut John’s hair. That afternoon we headed to Springville for a Maughan family reunion. This was the descendents of my Great grandparents on my mom’s side. I got to see my grandma and the girls got to spend some time with their grandparents, which they always love to do. I also got to throw my spinach salad away because apparently, I don’t watch the news enough. Spinach is no longer safe to eat. I was kind of bummed. The girls had fun running around with other little cousins and eating candy that was passed out generously. John got to play some basketball, so all in all it wasn’t too bad. We got home and got the girls ready for bed and then watched Alias until we couldn’t anymore.

This morning was interesting. John gave the opening prayer in sacrament and I was sustained as the new enrichment counselor in the Relief Society. I cannot tell you how surprised I was by that one. I feel a little intimidated and overwhelmed. The rest of sacrament went relatively well, and I gave the closing prayer. Sunday school was a little difficult though. The girl giving the lesson did a great job. She had some great insights and was able to engage the class in discussion. The only problem: I think that she naturally has a loud and projecting voice and she was speaking directly into the microphone. The only word I can find to describe it was piercing. At one point I looked over and John had discreetly put his fingers in his ears. His defense: “I take them out when someone else is talking!”

Relief Society was good, but it was weird sitting up in the front. We stayed after church so that I could be set apart, and then I walked home with the other counselor, who happens to be my next door neighbor. She encouraged me in my new calling and I feel slightly less unprepared. I tried to put the girls to bed, but ultimately failed and then it was time to go to Karla’s for dinner. We had an excellent ham dinner with Karla’s family and Kevin and Lesa. The kids had a great time and it was fun to catch up with everyone. We came home and put the kids straight to bed. They were exhausted. On the way home, Tayleigh declared that “Karla loves me” and Eden announced that she loves little babies because “they are so cute and normal.” I love my kids. Eden’s fascination this week has been with poop. “Mommy, doggies poop and kitties poop and bunnies poop and birds poop?” This has been the discussion at the most random moments this week. I don’t know what the deal is, but it is pretty funny.

I hope that things are going well for you all and that where ever you are you are enjoying the fall as much as I am! We love you!

Rachel

0 people think my kids are cute!: